Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Classes at the University of Cape Town



On Monday I attended class with Sarah. I had wanted to go to one class, but found them to be so interesting that I went to all three classes. on one I heard a lecture about the Truth and reconciliation Commission; in another I heard about a healing ritual in the indigenous San religion; and in the final class I heard the best description of the colonial roots of the genocide in Rwanda that I have ever heard. In fact the last lecture was so good that I returned on Wednesday to hear its conclousion. I feel quite sure I took more notes than most of the students there. It is funny what you do when you are not required. To say that the campus is beautiful hardly does it justice. And the class discussions are expecially fascinating because they bring together opinions of many students from Africa, Europe and the US. There are about 20,o000 students and 500 American exchange students.

1 comment:

Elka said...

Isn't it funny how much more you appreciate learning when you aren't required to do it? I just had a great conversation about that at BUUYA last night. We all aggreed that we learned more about the world in "real life" than in school. I'd love to see those notes...