Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Sunday


On Sunday, quite by chance I found a Methodist church down the road from the guest house. The pastor was not scheduled to preach that day but wasthere because he was in the middle of a Methodist conference all week, in which he had led a walk-out of clergy who questioned the bishops decison to refuse to allow the clergy to bless same-sax marriages. After judicial hearing it was determined that he and the other clergy (19 in all) would be re-instated and there would be more discussions of this issue in the Methodist church in SA. His explanation of the synod procedings came after a good sermon and several nice prayers. I was already a fan ,but when he told us his story at the end of the service I was so amamzed that somehow I had been drawn to this very church, on this particular day. It seemed beyond odd. Of course I gave him my card. and introduced myself at the door. It seems Massachusetts is known the world round on this issue, if nothing else. It was amazing to have the opportunity to appreciate how this issue pulls people apart and draws us together on many continents.
After church we went to Kistenbosch Gardens. Mother's Day was celebrated here too and the gardens were full of families with picnics. Aparently this is winter weather here. No winter I have ever experienced has been like this. It is balmly breezy and lovely most days.
After the garden we went to Camps Bay to watch the sunset. The water was cold ( ala Maine) but the beach was beautiful.

No comments: