Thursday, May 24, 2007

Game Reserve Tour - Wednesday May 23





On Wednesday the Halls took a trip to a large game reserve called Hluhluwe (pronounced shush louie)Imflozi. It was the hunting land of the king of the Zulu people. I have never seen so many large wild animals so close, in my life. These pictures were taken with my Canon Sure shot and virtually no zoom. These animals were just feet from the car.
In the course of the day we saw a family of elephants, 2 herds of buffalo, many giraffe in groups, zebra by the dozen, Nyala - an unusual animal I was not familiar with- and this male Kudu above. All day we searched for rhino which are hard supposed to be around in this reserve. Finally at dusk, we found 4 white rhino in a ditch trying to get some mud. They were right next to the car. It was an incredible site.
I really never thought that this was a priority - going to this game reserve, but I am glad that the Halls insisted, because I will never forget it. At one point we stopped with about 5 other cars because two male elephants were playing in the road. What huge beasts! They were spraying each other with dust and when then backed up you can bet four drivers put their cars in reverse fast, just to give them plenty of room. They were unaware of us and apparently, they think of cars as just another piece of landscape. But we gave them a wide berth.
Susan

No comments: