Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Sunday, May 27 East Woods Church





On Sunday I visited the East Woods church near Pietermaritzburg. This is a church known for its active outreach program in the community.
The church has two ministers. I sat with the Senior Pastor Rev. Awi Boyssen. His associate, an Indian pastor Rev. Vasu preached and led worship.
The people in this church were very gracious and invited me to speak and bring greetings from Needham, which I was happy to do. After the service they also asked me to stand at the door and greet everyone. People greet each other after service saying, "God bless you."
Before the communion took place, the minister invited the children to the altar for a blessing. I took one picture but I doubt that the photo does justice to the tender exchange that took place in this moment. Each child went forward and the minister placed his hands on his or her head and said a blessing. People all over the church were touched by this ritual.

They have an active program to feed the homeless twice a week. It is called a feeding station. They also have a building where they provide child care to AIDS orphans - children living with grandparents or extended family because they have lost both parents to AIDS. They serve 156 children who are AIDS orphans. Awi showed me the expansion that they are trying to build to serve food to more people. He is tireless in his efforts, though it is constant work to raise the money to increase the kitchen. He walked me through the construction site.
Following the service I was invited to the Boyssen home for a chat and Mrs. Boyssen prepared Sunday dinner for all of us, which included a grown daughter and son-in-law.
Awi has his own worries. He and Marie have grown children, but one daughter is HIV+ and her sister, whom I met, is a singer and is trying to raise money to produce a CD to raise money for AIDS treatment. Awi himself, lives with constant back pain after a car accident, but he has a big heart and is tireless in his efforts to help others. It was inspiring to be there.
Susan

No comments: