Wednesday, May 16, 2007

Safari




On Tuesday we went to a Game Reserve which runs a tour business. It is based on the safari fantasy really. You arrive early in the morning and they have a breakfast buffet served on linen tablecloths. Following breakfast they take you out into the 45,000 acre reserve. We were quite fortunate and saw a lot of animals. Unfortunately, without a powerful zoom lens I cannot really show you what we saw. I think that there are animals under the rainbow on the right but it will be difficult to distinguish until I play with the pictures a bit.
And you can see that I got friendly with the cougar that they have there. We each had a turn with her. She was turning toward me to snuggle alittle when Sarah snapped this picture. I was a little nervous. out on the range we saw elephants, springboks, hippos, white rhinos, all in families. In a separate enclosuse they are introducing a lion family. The big discover of the day for me was that male lions are every bit as beautiful and compelling as people say. The one I saw moved with such a dancer's elegance, and seemed more at ease with himself than almost any creature. He was oddly compelling, though living in a large fenced area.

No comments: